Thursday, April 06, 2006

Fantasy Baseball

First of all, let me say that I love fantasy sports. I mainly just play fantasy football and baseball and have been playing fantasy baseball with basically the same group of guys (with a couple newbies each year) for the last 5 years. We just recently had our baseball draft for this year and here's my team.

C - Josh Willingham
1B - David Ortiz
2B - Chase Utley
SS - J.J. Hardy
3B - Hank Blalock
OF - Lance Berkman, Hideki Matsui, Austin Kearns
Bench - Luis Gonzalez (AZ), Luis Gonzalez (CO - mainly for utility purposes), Christ Shelton, Aaron Hill (also for utility)

SP - C.C. Sabathia, Jeremy Bonderman, Scott Kazmir, Doug Davis, Jorge Sosa, Kelvim Escobar
RP - Billy Wagner, Jason Isringhausen, Todd Jones, Brian Fuentes

A few things. First, I'm hands-down the dominant force in our league. I've won it 4 out of 5 years and finished 3rd the other time. In our scoring format (the league is points only, not head-to-head), saves are very important so having good relievers is as big a need as anything else. Having 4 closers in a 12-team league gives me an edge. My strategy each year is to go with power and strong relief pitching. Needless to say, it's paid off before and I'm happy with the way my draft went again this year. Starting pitching is always my weak point and that's no different this year. Gotta love it when my #1 (Sabathia) goes down in his first outing of the year with a pulled oblique muscle - the 2nd year in a row he's had that injury. Hey C.C., do you think it might have something to do with the fact that you're probably about 20-30 pounds overweight?? Still, I like the updside of Bonderman and Kazmir and Davis is solid.

Anyway, I'm the team to beat again this year. Always am. I'll give you updates from time to time to let you know how things are going ... as if you care.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Not bad. I'm with you on Hardy, Matsui, and Bonderman. Here, this is my team tell me what you think.

C - Jason Varitek
1B - Richie Sexson
2B - Alfonso Soriano
3B - Alex Rodriguez
SS- JJ Hardy
OF - Scott Podsednik, Hideki Matsui, Carlos Lee
Util - Coco Crisp (I like the cereal)
BN - Garrett Anderson, Bill Hall, Craig Biggio, Adam Everett

SP - Jake Peavy, Cliff Lee, Jeremy Bonderman, Jake Westbrook, Josh Towers, AJ Burnett (DL)
RP- Keith Foulke, Tom Gordon, Chris Reitsma

Any potential there?

6:58 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Yeah, 12 team league, go figure. Don't ask me how that happened. And I picked up Willingham and John Papelbon for tom gordon and bill hall. (Free Agents - i don't think anyone would actually make that trade)

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home